Efficiently Understand the 5 Different Types of Essays Using Our Proficient Guide
As a student, you may prefer some subjects over others. Some may be interesting to you while you may find others to be downright unappealing.
Various essays will invoke multiple moods in you. In fact, different essays give us mixed feelings just like when changing clothes for one reason or another.
You are bound to find an essay type that suits you more when compared to another. This preference is influenced by some essay factors such as the length of the paper, the tone of the writing (whether serious or funny), and the purpose of the essay (to describe/ explain an issue) and so on.
The prime purpose of writing an essay is to achieve the initial intent. This article provides you with vital information to help you make this. Moreover, it provides in-depth information regarding the various types of academic essays. By the end of this piece, you will be familiar with the several categories of essays and find relevant examples of the same.
Occasionally, a student may be overwhelmed with various school assignments. Your teacher may lump an assignment on you while being completely oblivious to other ones that you had. Therefore, you will have to consider buying custom papers online. Expert writers can write all types of essays within the stipulated time. Furthermore, you will get your writing done for an affordable fee.
Student’s Guide to the Different Types of Essays
Of the five types of essays, the expository paper is the most time-consuming. Therefore it is only wise to start with expository essays and proceed to the other types of essays. However, before that, here is a list of the five categories of academic essays:
Keep reading to understand the definitions of each type of composition to get you apt to write them whenever duty calls!
The Expository Essay
This essay will need much of your time. It is quite an extensive essay so be ready to churn out pages and more pages. However, you can divide this assignment into several sub-sections. These sub-sections are the interpretation part, definition section, cause and effect, response, and analysis section.
- An explanation essay provides useful information on the process in question step-by-step. Along with descriptions of the process, the explanation essay offers detailed guidance on the subject. These assignments typically answer “how” queries. For example, how is a President elected in the US; or how does a chocolate factory manufacture its fantastic candies.
- The definition essay has to be the simplest of all. Nonetheless, this does not imply that you should only write single sentences copied straight from the English dictionary as your definition. This act is what is called plagiarism in writing. It is quite a serious offense that attracts legal action. A good student should use both the official definitions of the phrase or word along with their understanding of the phrases or words. For example; for words such as “justice, “or “hatred,” provide your definitions plus the official definitions from the thesaurus. Do the same for phrases such as ‘school bullying.’
- The cause and effect essay aims to show that various phenomena in the world are interrelated. When asked to write one, you should draw a parallel between multiple events/ subjects. Moreover, give the reasons for why some events happen and their results. For instance, when asked to write about the causes and effects of the Civil War in America, show a clear link between the roots of the war and the consequences of the same.
- The reflection essay is at times referred to as a personal response essay. This essay takes subjectivity to another level. It requires you to provide a personal opinion on various topics. Nonetheless, you should describe the subject and support your claims with verifiable facts and evidence
- Finally, the critical analysis essay intends to make the reader comprehend the covered material. You can choose the topic from a scholarly article or book chapter to write about. In other instances, the teacher may pick it for you. After selecting a topic, the writer analyzes and interprets the subject in their article. The instructor will look at your article to gauge your interpretation. To write an efficient critical analysis, explain each line of the piece of text individually.
A Descriptive Essay
A descriptive essay is an original piece that offers an in-depth explanation and detailed analysis of a particular event, object, chosen literary piece. The writer needs to use various adverbs and adjectives to describe the subject. This essay should employ literary tools such as allegories, metaphors, analogies, similes, and personifications. These tools are useful in helping the reader to visualize your subject.
A Narrative Essay
This essay tells an exciting story from the writer to the audience in a captivating manner. Example: “Old Man and the Sea” by Ernest Hemingway.
A Compare-&-Contrast Essay
This piece is a sub-section of the expository paper. The writer needs to mention similarities and differences between events/ people/ locations to help the reader compare and contrast them. The purpose of this piece is to help the reader comprehend one topic at a time.
A Persuasive/Argumentative Essay
The argumentative or persuasive essay requires the writer to stress on a particular view concerning a specific problem. A persuasive essay aims to convince the reader of the truthfulness of the thesis statement.
An argumentative essay should states and justifies the thesis statement with facts and evidence.
4 Additional Types of Essays a Student Might Come Across
Some scholars argue that more types of essays exist. This claim may be valid. Nonetheless, other academic essays can fall into either of the categories mentioned. Below are four types of essays that a student may have to write:
An Admission/Scholarship Essay
This essay is what helps students enter colleges. To prosper a writer has to:
- Provide information on why you choose the particular field of study
- Explain why you need a degree
- Show personal weaknesses and strengths
- Provide information on their college of choice
- Explain how they will contribute to the college community and society
A scholarship essay helps the writer persuade a scholarship agency to offer them financial support.
A Cultural Identity Essay
A cultural identity essay communicates the various viewpoints, cultures, beliefs, religions, customs, and so on of students. It helps make people more accommodative and inclusive.
A Process Analysis Essay
A process analysis essay provides information on an individual process in a step-by-step manner.
An Informative Essay
An informative piece is writing that describes the subject with the help of special terms, detailed descriptions, and exhaustive analysis supported by the credible facts.
Tips to Help You the Write Different Types of Essays
Students face essays in middle school, high school, and college. MA and Ph.D. papers tend to more complex. Below are tips to help you write efficient essays at the different levels of education:
Tips on Writing the Different Types of Essays for Middle School
- Pick middle school essays such as narrative, storytelling, demonstration, reflection, and how-to essays.
- Pick essays you can efficiently analyze based on hobbies, skills, and talents.
- Use personal preferences and achievements to spice up your articles.
- Provide a lot of details when describing toys, people, clothing, landscapes, etc.
- Put on the teacher’s mask to identify what they require from you in an A+ essay.
Useful Tips for Writing the Various Types of Essays for High School
- Pay attention to and revise on writing efficient compare and contrast, narrative, admissions, expository, and cause and effect essays.
- Use the five-paragraph format- an introduction, three body paragraphs, and a finishing paragraph.
- Focus on a specific topic in a variety of interrelated ideas.
- Avoid going off topic.
- Practice cover letter writing and personal statement writing
Tips for Writing the Different Types of Essays for College
- Brainstorm on the topic before you start writing. Jot down all the ideas you get on the subject.
- Narrow down your topic if it is broad to write more concise essays.
- Write creatively. Avoid putting too much personal opinion in your work.
- Write an honest personal statement Go through your essay before turning it in to identify and rectify mistakes.
Get Help on Various Essay Types: Summary
Do you want samples of the different types of essays? This academic writing service has free examples of essays in an array of topics to share with students.
Are you facing a tight deadline? Get your paper done fast. Fill the online order form on our official site to get your essay done expertly.